• Telephone signposting to appropriate services
• 1:1 planning sessions with our funeral planning pack
• Support in filling out Social Fund claim forms or making loan applications
• Support in meeting funeral directors and other official appointments
• Providing a neutral viewpoint and unbiased feedback on decisions
• Gently guiding someone through the whole funeral process
What skills and qualities are we looking for?
We need people with empathy, patience and good communication skills. You will be a good organiser, confident in problem solving and happy working with challenging and delicate situations. Some experience of death and funerals is ideal, but not essential. Above all, we are looking for people with the desire, time, skills and compassion to commit to working with people who are making hard decisions around death.
Due to the sensitive nature of the volunteering we suggest that mentors be aged 21 or over. Volunteers would be asked to commit to the project for a minimum of six months.
Why mentor for Down to Earth?
As a volunteer mentor for Down to Earth you will have the privilege of supporting vulnerable people at the most difficult time in their lives. It’s a powerful experience that is sure to challenge your world view.
Our mentoring provides a unique opportunity to develop a broad range of transferable skills in communication, support and event planning. We provide full support from a team of end-of-life care professionals. Our mentors also benefit from full training over four days, covering such modules as:
• Death and bereavement
• The mentoring process
• The funeral process and action planning
• Financial planning and the Social Fund
• Faith and cultural awareness
• Communication and listening skills
• Dealing with difficult questions
• Recognising risk
Initial interviews: Thursday 7th June 18:00 to 20:30
Training 10:00 to 16:00 on 13th, 14th, 20th and 21st June
Interested? Telephone Lawrence on 020 8983 5057 or write to LawrenceKilshaw@qsa.org.uk for an application pack or just to find out more.
Down to Earth
Quaker Social Action
17 Old Ford Road, Bethnal Green, E2 9PJ
Tel: 020 8983 5057
Fax: 020 8983 5069
QSA: 140 years of social action in east London; winners of a Centre for Social Justice award and a CAF Charity award, winners of the Bank of America Neighbourhoods Excellence Initiative and a New Philanthropy Capital recommended charity