Accreditation: Recommended Funeral Directors – more details
The best of the best.
The GFG ‘Recommended By’ scheme for funeral directors is the best you can get.
There is a growing, urgent demand from both consumers and funeral directors for a way of identifying the best companies in the funeral world. We believe that, unlike trade body membership or online listings, the GFG ‘Recommended By’ scheme delivers independent and insightful endorsement of those companies delivering outstanding customer service.
The assessment framework implements a rigorous and transparent process which makes our endorsement authoritative, prestigious and accountable. It is also highly selective. We only list the best.
Above all, our accreditation framework enables us to tell consumers that we have been and we have seen, and to reassure them that, to the best of our knowledge, you will look after the person they have lost with the utmost respect.
The GFG’s rising prestige as a consumer advocate means that our scheme is the one that the public trusts.
- Our mission at the GFG is to connect the bereaved with the best suppliers of services and merchandise.
- We enjoy the trust of consumers because we are wholly independent of the funeral industry. By dint of years of hard, unpaid work we have acquired knowledge, authority and consumer recognition. We have established our integrity and proved our worth. We are uniquely qualified to offer third-party endorsement of your work. Ask yourself: who else could?
- We are non-denominational. We do not favour one sort of FD over another. ‘Traditional’, ‘Alternative’, ‘Progressive’ – green or black, they’re all the same to us. Only excellence matters.
- GFG website hits average over 1000 sessions a day – and the curve is rising. A very high proportion of these were for our Best FDs listings.
Our goal is maximum usefulness and credibility. Our accreditation framework focuses on evaluating the consumer experience your service offers.
In particular, our framework enables us to verify on behalf of funeral shoppers that they will be treated with courtesy, listened to with empathy, offered the full range of choice, charged fairly and empowered to play their part in creating a sendoff for the person they have lost which accords with their values and wishes.
Above all, it enables us to reassure consumers that you will look after the person they have lost with the utmost respect..
In order to do this, we need to demonstrate thoroughness.
A paid-for service
Our listing has to pay for itself. The only way it can do that is if you cover our costs. There is no alternative.
Because ours is, for you, a high-value service which differentiates you from your competitors and is likely to confer substantial commercial benefit, we will not devalue our own skills and knowledge, nor demean your listing, by offering it for less than the market rate.
The fee for visiting one site, writing and editing your review and posting it online is £550 +VAT* + travel by car (40p per mile) or train. The fee for businesses with more than one branch is negotiable depending on workload. In addition to touring your funeral home, we shall require to meet with all key staff.
*We are presently not VAT-registered, but that will change when we breach the threshold. The early-bird fee is, therefore, the VAT-free fee.
Our fee must be met in advance. The Good Funeral Guide is a not-for-profit social enterprise company (CIC 07818343) committed to the highest standards of ethical conduct. All surplus income is used to enable the GFG to deliver on its core purpose: to maintain our website, fund our free advice service in support of the interests of dying and bereaved people living in the UK, and sponsor events, like the Good Funeral Awards, which promote understanding and appreciation of the best practices and practitioners in funeral service.
We expect to spend around half a day with you and will, of course, keep travel costs to a minimum by revisiting funeral homes area by area.
Read about the themes and topics that we’ll cover.
The process is not adversarial. We are not po-faced box-tickers, we celebrate best practice. The process is about conversation, not cross-examination.
Is it worth it? You decide. Calculate the value of the reputational and commercial benefit of accreditation by doing a cost-benefit analysis.
Accreditation will normally renew automatically for two years, after which time you will need to be revisited. The cost of revisiting you will, therefore, be tri-ennial.
There will be an annual re-registration fee of £100. For businesses with more than one branch there will be a small additional fee per branch to cover the provision of new window stickers.
The initial visit will be carried out by our CEO, Fran Hall DipFD. It is essential that we are able to state that our CEO has visited each of our recommended businesses. Return visits will either be made by Fran or a senior, expert associate of the GFG with no business interests in any funeral home.
We shall accord ‘Recommended By’ status only to the very best funeral homes – those which have something very special about them.
- Informed, independent endorsement of your quality
- A full review of your funeral home on our website
- Differentiation from your competitors
- ‘Recommended By’ annual window stickers as in previous years
- Electronic logo for use in advertising, letterhead, etc
- An extremely handsome certificate which you can frame and display
- A press release with which to announce your upgrade in your community
- Networking events
We will never reveal information about you which is commercially sensitive.
We always monitor feedback meticulously before it is published on the website. When we receive negative feedback – and we do – we investigate, resolve or refute. Misunderstandings happen. Mischief-makers are sent empty away.
What you need to do now
- Read our Frequently Asked Questions
- Read about the Themes and Topic areas
- Any questions? Ring Fran: 07866 596234 or e-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Want to apply? If you would like to become a Good Funeral Guide Recommended Funeral Director, click here to start the application process.