The Co-op’s stated aims
- To be a commercially successful business
- To meet the needs of our customers and the communities we serve*
- To respond to our members and share our profits
- To be an ethical leader
- To be an exemplary employer
- To inspire others through co-operation
Co-operative Group results 2013
Overall loss: £2.3 billion
Funeralcare sales for 2013 £370m – 3.4% up on 2012.
Underlying F’care operating profit increased 3.3% to £62.1m.
In 2013, F’care opened 16 new funeral homes, invested £3.1 million in crematoria development and £9.5 million in its fleet of vehicles.
In December, a new website was launched to allow customers to purchase, as well as manage, a pre-paid funeral plan online.
More whitewash here.
“Those directors are now locked in a defensive mindset which makes intervention by the Bank of England and the Treasury all the more likely in the end. The walk-on part of Lord Myners is, I fear, no more than a sideshow in the slow procession towards the crematorium of this once great institution.”
Martin Vander Weyer in the Spectator.
*One in five people struggle to pay for a funeral